Join my blog! It's Fun and it's FREE, Creative and Neat!

Friday, December 30, 2011

Letter Blocks

So as I promise, I'm adding what Christmas presents I made.  Please bare the horrible picture quality.  I took the pictures with my droid phone and i tried editing them so they would look better.  The first present I made was letter blocks for decoration.  I used Modge Podge, a sponge paint brush, 2x2 holiday card stock. and 8 wooded blocks from Hobby Lobby. For the lettering I used my Cricut Expression and the Classic Fonts cartridge.  I cut out the letters at 1 1/2 inch's (I believe, cant quiet remember).  I cut the holiday card stock at 2"x2" making 9. (one extra for mess ups).


So first I made a diagram of how I wanted each block to be placed and what it would say.  I recommend going to KarleeKrafts.  Her button is to the right, just click, and watch her tutorial on how she does it. That's how I did it. Thanks Karlee!  After I made my diagram, i first started on Thankful.  The blocks I got from Hobby Lobby are not exactly 2"x2" as they are stated. So these first block card stock are a little short.  It's okay, no body's perfect, just shows its homemade and from the heart. :) So after I made this boo boo, I fixed the problem after on all the rest.  

I Modged Podged the blocks, and then placed the card stock squares on the block evening the edges and bubbles out.  I did it to all 8 blocks, and then waited for it to dry.  Rotated all the blocks one flip forward, and repeated the process till all sides were done.  Then I trimmed the edges with any overage and filed them with a fingernail file.  I then re-modge podged them.  Wait for it to dry.  Repeated the flipping. I then modge podge the letters on, first placing so modge podge, put the letter on, and modge podge over it.  It will move the letters some, but if you just use different angles to spread the glue, it will even the letters back to the middle.  After all letters, all side are dry, put one more coat of modge podge on like a 'seal'.  So then your done, yes it is some what time consuming, but I placed my blocks under my desk lamp and it puts out some heat which help dry them faster.  I did Thankful for Thanksgiving, Believe for Christmas, Chilly for winter (my mom loves winter)  Lovely for Valentines Day, Welcome, and on one side, their last name, which is private, so I won't show you.











She opened them and loved them.  I was very pleased.  If you want to learn how to make your own, to the right of my blog is Karlee Krafts icon, click on it, and she has a video on how to do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment